Journalism for the Equitable Asia Award
Journalism for an Equitable Asia Award
Asia and Pacific showed the biggest billionaire wealth and growth in the world last year, now with 906 billionaires owning nearly 3 trillion dollars in wealth. In contrast, 1.2 billion Asians are struggling to make ends meet. Women and girls and other groups without a strong voice suffer the worst. Impacts of the climate crisis have seen an increase in disasters across Asia, and they hit those disadvantaged the hardest.
As thought leaders and creators, journalists have the skills and voice to expose social issues of inequality to build the public’s understanding and support for equality, human rights, and sustainability. There are many journalists across Asia who report to fight the injustice of inequality and poverty. Journalism for an Equitable Asia Award aims to recognize them and encourage more journalists to write for a fairer Asia that works for all its people.
The award will launch onsite or online in several countries in South and Southeast Asia: Bangladesh, Malaysia, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Criteria for Nomination
Journalists are eligible for nomination if they meet the following criteria:
- Written English* articles of minimum 650 words in length published in print or digital platform (Any written medium or public platform is eligible given the fulfillment of all the other criteria)
- Journalists writing two or more pieces published on the theme of inequality from 1st January 2019 to 31st January 2020 will be eligible
- The nominated article(s) should cover how inequality affects people from across Asia and/or their country from lenses such as economic inequality, women’s rights, public services, taxation, climate justice, etc. They may also discuss practices and policies that contribute to building a fairer Asia
* Journalists may also submit articles published in other languages with a mandatory English translation.
- Awards nominations can be submitted online: https://forms.gle/andt7H7NpTT1ELwZ9
- Journalists themselves, readers, media institutions or interested others such as civil society and academia may submit nominations.
- Each valid nomination must contain the name of the journalist, verifiable details of the published article(s) (links), their media affiliation(s), the contact information (Email, WhatsApp/line, phone) of the journalist.
- While they are required to submit proof of two published articles, they must also indicate which one they’d prefer to be considered for the award.
- In case online links are not available they can submit the scanned articles (translations) as pdf documents.
|Nominations Open||15th November 2019|
|Submissions Deadline||15th February 2020|
The Judging Panel will be made up of 5 people media and inequality experts, and will include representation from the Asia Centre, Oxfam International, and Civil Society partners.
|Does the article tackle issues of inequality?||Does the topic address a concern relevant to society?||Does it advocate for a more equitable society?||Is the article well researched and evidence-based?|
|Is the topic relevant and important to the country/region concerned?||Does it accurately reflect the affected communities’ voices and concerns?||Does it tackle inequality through the lenses of helping/empowering those worst affected?||Is the article and analysis well structured and rational?|
|Is the discussion of the issues well supported by evidence?||Does the topic identify causes leading to the specific inequality and what can be done to address the issues?||Does the article evoke a call for action?||Is the article presented in a way that is easily understood by the reader?|
- The top 3 winners will receive cash awards and will be felicitated at the Award Ceremony.
- The top 10 journalists* will be invited to participate in the Journalism for an Equitable Asia Forum following the Award Ceremony to be held in Bangkok.
- Top 5 journalists from each country will receive certificates recognizing their work.
* Depending on their ability to participate.